You just finished ringing in the New Year with all of your friends and now you have to start eating healthy and working out every day – no thanks! New Year’s resolutions are always a daunting task, but we are here to help you set ones that you can actually keep.
Before deciding your resolutions, take some time to focus on goals you want to set for yourself in 2019. Set yourself up for success by choosing goals that are intended for a lifestyle change. The best way to ensure successful resolutions is to start a habit and stick with it.
Depending on what source you read, the time it takes to form a habit can vary. According to a research team at the University College London, it takes an average of 66 days to create a habit (Examined Existence). While this may be an intimidating number, we suggest you schedule a certain time every day to practice each habit to help you make that change.
All the resolutions that we recommend below are easily attainable, if you put your mind to it. Try them out and let us know on Facebook!
- Take time for yourself. Before every service at Ivy, our stylists invite their guests to take three deep breaths and take in a moment of calmness. This helps relieve stress, enhance focus and promotes emotional health.
- Always take your makeup off before bed. This prevents wrinkles and allows your skin to rejuvenate overnight.
- Be mindful. Be mindful to the people around you, things you buy and your own thoughts and emotions. It’s always good to be conscious of your surroundings and what you put on and in your body. For example, Aveda sells natural, sustainably sourced products. Next time you are buying hair care products or makeup, consider buying Aveda.
- Meal prep for your week ahead. Prep is key. It saves you time and is convenient if you are always on the go.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Fun Fact: Taking two steps at a time doesn’t actually burn more calories, so be sure to walk up every step.
- Talk to strangers and make connections.The next time you are in line for Starbucks, turn around and start a conversation with the person behind you. You never know, you might make a new friend!
These simple, yet achievable, lifestyle changes will do just that – change your life. The first step is to make a change. We hope you are just excited as we are about 2019. We can’t wait to see what it has in store for us!
Also, shout out our amazing stylist, Karla Eschmann, for coming up with these great resolutions! Follow her on Instagram at @hair.by.karla.